Lesotho (nationwide): Rural Airfield Development
DORSCH CONSULT, in association with a local consulting engineering firm, was entrusted with the formulation of an economically feasible and technically rational programme for the development of Lesotho' s rural airfields.
The development programme consists of major reconstruction work and safety provisions at the four airfields of Leribe, Sehonghong, Thaba-Tseka and Kolberg in order to upgrade them to regional standard, limited improvement/upgrading work at 21 other existing airfields – to be determined in the course of the project – and the construction of new airfields at locations where the growth in demand was deemed to justify such an investment.
In general terms the works comprised runway sections, runway/strip widenings, provision of aircraft parking areas, provision of basic terminal shelters/storerooms, provision of airfield fencing, upgrading of building equipment and services, upgrading of meteorological services, communications facilities and basic safety standards.
In all twenty-seven airfields, plus overall aeronautical communication links, were identified for improvement/development.
Dorsch International Consultants
Department of Civil Aviation
- Technical, economic and financial feasibility studies
- Preparation of a development programme and masterplan
- Schematic preliminary and detailed designs
- Preparation of tender documents
- Assistance in prequalification of contractors and securing external financing for implementation of development programme